South African departures to London
One of the most diverse and exciting cities in the world, London has a huge number of tourist attractions. Top of the list must surely be Buckingham Palace and its stately surroundings. Visitors can take their pick of museums and art galleries, from the world-famous British Museum and superb Natural History Museum to the iconic Tate Modern and waxworks of Madame Tussaud’s. Discover green spaces such as Green Park, Hyde Park and St. James’ Park. London’s theatres are world-renowned while bars in areas such as trendy Shoreditch and upmarket Chelsea ensure a great evening.
The major airport in the city is London Heathrow, located in the south-west. Other airports include London Gatwick to the south and London Stansted to the north. British Airways and Virgin Atlantic fly from Cape Town International Airport and OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg to Heathrow. South African Airways also flies Johannesburg to Heathrow. Various carriers make indirect flights between South Africa and London, for example, Etihad and Emirates fly Johannesburg to London Gatwick. From Heathrow the Heathrow Shuttle connects to Paddington and from Gatwick the Gatwick Express train takes 30 minutes to reach London Victoria train station.
Driving is discouraged in central London and there is a Congestion Charge for certain areas. Fortunately the public transport system is excellent. The London Underground (the tube) has 11 lines serving 270 stations and fares depend on the zone(s) travelled through. There are also mainline train stations connecting various areas, which can be especially handy for the south, and buses. Black taxis charge by the meter.
London is a safe city and most visitors have no problems with crime. However visitors should keep a hold of their possessions and stay alert while travelling on crowded public transport, never leaving bags unattended. Other precautions include only using licensed taxis and where possible avoiding train stations and bus stops in isolated areas.
Airports for London
Cheapest flights to United Kingdom
How much do things cost in London?
More information about London
- Return flights to London aren’t the only option – London is also your gateway to wider travels in England.
- For posh nosh treat yourselves to a traditional English afternoon tea at The Ritz, The Wolseley or Claridges.
- Direct flights to London operate frequently with all the major airlines to London Gatwick and Heathrow.
- See London’s finest historic landmarks on a tour of St Paul’s Cathedral, Westminster Abbey and Big Ben.
- Discover London in style and enjoy a spectacular view across the city by taking a whirl on the London Eye.
- Sample the very best of the city’s liveliest bars in Soho and Shoreditch or the upmarket clubs of Mayfair.
- Don’t miss out on last minute flights to London – pick up great bargains to make your holiday money go further.
- Enjoy a picnic with Pimms, take a pedalo ride on the lake, or simply watch the world go by in Regent’s Park.