We work with more than 300 partners to bring you better travel deals
Cheap Flights to USA
|Popular in||December||High demand for flights, 2% potential price rise|
|Cheapest in||October||Best time to find cheap flights, 1% potential price drop|
|Average price||R15 087||Average for round-trip flights in August 2020|
|Round-trip from||R9 308||From Johannesburg to New York|
|One-way from||R542||One-way flight from Johannesburg to New York|
Cheapest prices for USA flights by month
When is the best time to fly to USA?
Choose a month below to see average flight price and weather conditions.
JNB - NYC
R13 168 - R20 189
6 - 30 °C
65 - 130 mm
The best time to book your flights to USA varies depending on where you are going so doing a bit of homework in advance will only work in your favour.
Due to the size of the United States the peak season for each city vary. New York experiences its peak season from September to December, Miami from January to April, whereas somewhere like Las Vegas doesn’t ever really have a low season so is busy all year-round. Due to this you should always aim to look for cheap flights to USA as early as you can to avoid overpaying on flight tickets that you could potentially find deals on.
The off season sees similar fluctuations depending on where exactly you are visiting. New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco typically have the cheapest flight tickets around January thanks to a rainy season and cold temperatures.
When is the best time to book a flight to USA?
The best time to book flights to USA is 27 days before your desired departure date. The cost of your flight will likely increase significantly if you book two weeks in advance of your flight.
Which day is cheapest to fly to USA?
Tuesday is currently, on average, the cheapest day to fly to USA. Flying on Saturday will result in higher flight prices.
What time of day is cheapest to fly to USA?
USA flights can be made cheaper if you choose a flight in the morning. Booking a flight in the afternoon will likely mean higher prices.
How to get cheap flights to USA?
The best way to find cheap flights from South Africa to USA is to book at least three months in advance and fly via Doha, Dubai, London, Madrid, Amsterdam or Istanbul.
- Indirect flights can be much cheaper than the direct route from Johannesburg to New York with South African Airways. If you can be flexible with your dates and location then you’ll find cheap flights to USA are much easier to come by.
- Do not insist on flying directly to your desired destination but look for the cheapest flights to land on the US and then take a domestic flight to your destination which most of the times is going to be quite cheap.
- Make sure to allow plenty of time for your Visa applications for all the countries you will fly to even if you are only staying for a few hours (stopover – connecting flights).
- If you want to visit Miami for example, a cheap way of getting there is from Cape Town or Joburg to Doha and from there to Miami or the nearby Fort Lauderdale airport. You can also check flights from Joburg to London via Doha, then to Orlando FL and from there take a domestic flight to Miami (Orlando to Miami is just an hour’s flight and usually goes for less than R1000 return).
- If you are planning to visit New York, first fly to London via Barcelona, Amsterdam, Doha or Dubai and then get a direct flight from London to New York with Norwegian.
- When searching for flights to USA, always check for alternative stopovers and don’t forget to use our Smart Value feature to sort flights by balancing journey time and price.
How long is the flight to USA?
Direct Flights from Johannesburg to New York: 15 hours 45 minutes
Indirect Flights from Johannesburg to New York: 22 hours
Which airlines operate flights to USA?
South African Airways, Emirates, Qatar, Etihad, Jet Blue, United, British Airways, KLM, Turkish Airlines, Norwegian and Virgin are the most popular airlines that fly to New York. Which airline depends a lot on where your stop over is, for example you’ll more than likely fly with Emirates if you stop in Dubai along the way.
There’s a large number of airports across the country which means finding flights to the US is easy, no matter where you plan to land. Some of the largest are:
New York: JFK; LaGuardia (LGA) and Newark (EWR)
Los Angeles (LAX)
San Francisco (SFO)
Orlando International Airport (MCO)
Las Vegas (LAS)